Yes you can eat your way to a healthier, shinier, smoother beard. Your beard needs various vitamins that can help it thrive. Certain vitamins found in food have direct benefits to your facial hair thriving. Some of the benefits include the promotion of production of sebum (a natural oil) which is important for moisturizing and lubricating hair, building new cells and hair for better hair growth and protection of cell membranes to prevent your facial hair from becoming dry and brittle. Here are the essential vitamins and examples you can find in actual food that are an important part of your everyday diet;
1. Protein – lean meats, lentils, soy milk, spinach, beans, chia seeds, peanut butter
2. Omega 3 Fatty Acids – Walnuts, salmon
3. Vitamin C – Citrus fruits, red peppers, broccoli
4. Vitamin A – Milk, cheese & Beta Caratone – Carrots, pumpkin, pawpaw, mangoes, green leafy vegetables like spinach and kale
5. Vitamin B6, B12 & Biotin – Fish, poultry, leans meats, eggs, nuts, brown rice, oatmeal, potatoes, soya beans, wholemeal bread, bananas
6. Vitamin E – Almonds, sunflower seeds, peanuts butter, spinach
As with everything, moderation is key. Excessive intake of some vitamins can actually lead to hair loss. Talk to your nutritionist for the right dosage. Also, remember that beard growth is determined by a combination of a genetics, lifestyle, exercise and of course right diet.